Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tomato Frank Soup



I always think of soup as a winter dinner - but one day when it was so hot and I didn't want to turn on the oven - my oldest asked if she could make soup. Why not I thought? I quickly got my grandpa Kortright's recipe for Tomato Frank Soup and let her run with it.

1 cup chopped onion
8 oz frankfurters, sliced (4 or 5 - I always end up using the whole package - about 8)
3 Tablespoons butter
1 can condensed tomato soup
1 can condensed bean with bacon soup
1 1/2 soup cans water (2 cups)
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. oregano

In a saucepan cook onion, franks, and butter until onions are tender. Stir in remainder of ingredients. Cover and simmer five minutes.



It made a lovely summer dinner! Try it!



P.S. Make a big batch for dinner and send it to school with the kids the next day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Days in the Northeast are getting colder and Tomato soup sounds good to me. I like your version. I have a friend who adds a little thyme to her soup.

Sabrina said...

Oh my gosh, that is the greatest sounding thing right now. I love, love, no I mean LOVE tomato soup. And that almost sounds like my favoite spaghetti-Os with the hot dogs in it. I am goin' to the store now. Thanks!

Rindy R said...

Sabrina - hope your family loves it as much as we do!
Anonymous - That sounds like a great addition!

Anonymous said...

I made this last night and Grandpa Kortright has a winner of a recipe. I loved having a piece of onion in my soup for additional flavoring.