Monday, August 25, 2008

Baby Twice Baked Potatoes



These little gems were such a hit at our last BBQ! They started out as part of the appetizers - but the remainder quickly became part of everyone's meal. We had about 5 left at the end of the night - which became part of our breakfast in the morning! These were a little labor intensive - but worth all the effort when you see those smiles on your guests faces!! Kids loved them as much as the adults! I doubled this recipe - Thank goodness!



1 1/2 pounds of small red potatoes
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 cup shredded pepper jack
1 garlic bulb, roasted
1/2 cup sour cream
3 oz cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 package (4.1 oz) Idahoan Baby Reds flavored mashed potatoes (or any instant potatoes)
(This is my favorite brand - no one will know - I promise)
If you double the recipe - you still just need 1 bag of the instant mash potatoes.

Slice a small spot off each end of every potato. Then cut each potato in half. This ensures all potatoes will sit up nicely on the cookie sheet. Cut top off garlic, drizzle with olive oil and wrap in foil. Place on same baking sheet. Toss potatoes in olive oil and bake at 400 for 35 to 40 minutes.



I used my tomato "Top-taker-offer" (one of my 1066 kitchen gadgets) to scoop out each potato when they cooled down.
I did not get enough "guts" out of each potato - and thus made a bag of instant mashed potatoes to add to my bowl.
Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl of potatoes except the jack cheese.



Put mashed potatoe mixure in ziplock bag and cut tip. If you are adding bacon or some other yummy ingredient - just remember it needs to be pretty tiny to fit back through the ziplock bag hole.



Pipe mixture back into those little "mouths" waiting to be filled with that yummy filling! Put back in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes! Remove and top with Jack cheese - Serve and watch disappear!



These can be made any way you like your potatoes. Add blue cheese, bacon, cheddar, chives...you name it! Next time I would do 1/2 Jack cheese and 1/2 cheddar. The Jack cheese was a little hot for the kids - but they still managed to pack them away!
What would you add?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blogs. What a hefty or do I mean hearty undertaking!
You have got to love being invited to your outings! YUP, they look delicious and my family would love that pepper jack cheese.

Sabrina said...

Those look awesome. I can't wait to try them out.

test it comm said...

Those potatoes look good!

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

WOW - Those look so wonderful and the effort you put into these - Cheers to you. You should submit to Noble Pigs - Potato Ho Down it is great and you would be a hit!!

Rindy R said...

Sabrina - My crowd loved them and I'm sure yours will too!
Kevin - They tasted great too - but it is hard to make a bad potato!
Cathy - Thanks for the head up on the Noble Pig!

Deborah said...

I'm a potato lover, and these have my mouth watering!

Pam said...

I am originally from Idaho so you can imagine how much I love potatoes. This recipe makes my mouth water!

nicole said...

These twice baked potaotes look awesome.