Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Stuffed Baked Tomatoes



What a perfect summer spread! While visiting my mom at the cabin in the Catskills, she pulled out a recipe for Stuffed Baked Tomatoes. I had to laugh as I looked at the recipe. I told my mom it looked like it had come from an 1875 newspaper. She corrected me - and told me that it was from a 1959 newspaper (same thing) and she had cut it out when she was first married.
New or old, that recipe sure tasted delicious with those summer tomatoes! Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did one summer night at the cabin.
You will need: Tomatoes, sausage meat, bread crumbs, onion, garlic, butter, parsley.



Slice off and reserve the smooth ends of 6 firm tomatoes. Scoop out the centers of the tomatoes and reserve them, but discard the seeds.



Mix together stuffing of 3/8 pound of fresh sausage meat; 3/4 cup of bread crumbs moistened with 3 Tablespoons of consomme; 1 onion and 1 clove garlic, both minced and sauteed together in butter until soft ( I used 1 Tablespoon of butter); the tomato centers, chopped; and 3 Tablespoons of minced parsley. Stuff tomatoes, sprinkle them with fine bread crumbs, dot each one with a small piece of butter.



Bake the tomatoes in a lightly oiled baking dish in a 300 degree oven for 35 minutes. Serves six.

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

Hey Rindy... that looks so good. I have question though... do you cook the sausage before you make the stuffing? Sorry in advance for my cooking ineptness.

Rindy R said...

Great question Sabrina! The recipe called for NOT cooking the sausage. I , on the other hand, subscribe to the theory that sausage can not be done enough! I DID cook the sausage before I put it in the tomatoes - and it was great! Thanks for checking in!

Lore said...

These look scrumptious! Love the way stuffed tomatoes borrow some of their juices to the filling inside.