Thursday, August 7, 2008

Lemon Basil Dip



If you have Basil coming out your ears about now - this is the perfect way to use it up! My next door neighbor Jennifer first introduced me to this delicious dip about 6 years ago and it has become one of my favorite dips to serve with cold shrimp, cooked and cooled tortellini, or lightly cooked asparagus. I had not thought about it in a while - when low and behold, my friend Merry (who is just as happy as her name) brought it unexpectedly to a get together. I told her I was going home and putting the recipe on the blog!



1/4 fresh lemon juice (don't forget to "Beat the Lemon")
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 cup mayo

In a blender or food processor, combine all ingredients except mayo. Process until smooth. In a medium bowl, whip mayo until creamy. Stir in herb mixture. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. This dip SCREAMS summer!

11 comments:

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

My mouse stopped on this while cruising tastespotting - This looks great and I will try this one for sure.

Rindy R said...

Cathy - hope you love this refreshing summer dip as much as I do! Thanks for stopping by!

My Sweet & Saucy said...

What a fun dip for asparagus! I love it!

Robin said...

This is one of my favorite Rindy dips! It is so delicious!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Because I do have an invasion of Basil in my Garden!

Anonymous said...

Thanks - definitely going to try this with calamari!

Anonymous said...

This sounds great, I have only one question...1/4 WHAT? cup, tsp, Tbsp, or juice of 1/4 lemon??? Marlbea

Rindy R said...

Sorry about that! It is 1/4 CUP Lemon Juice.

Charmagne Smith said...

Ah, just exactly what I was looking for a zesty basil dip that is quite different from pesto - Thankyou

Sweet.Caroline said...

I just saw my question answered as I was looking for cup or whatever.

Unknown said...

This sounds awesome!!! I am going to have to find something to substitute for the garlic as I am nursing and it makes the baby gassy and pukey!!!