Friday, August 1, 2008

Aunt Ruthie's Blueberry Buckle



I found myself in Blueberry heaven the other day. My mother had brought me a big bag of blueberries from "Mr. Ward" - My father's childhood friend from the Catskills. He has amazing blueberry bushes which he allows us to "dine" on once in a while (Picture below is of my dad and my daughter Jensen dining Ala Carte in Mr. Ward's garden). Sometimes he even does the picking for us and gives them to my dad when they meet up for golf. We like those even better!





I don't have to think long when I am given a beautiful bag of blueberries. I usually reach for my homemade cookbook from my Aunt Ruthie and start to gather the ingredients for her blueberry buckle! It's hard to even utter those words without getting a little pep in my step. My heart thinks - yeah - we're having blueberry buckle for dessert! Yeah me!!

Aunt Ruthie's Blueberry Buckle:

Grease well an 8 inch pan. Put in 2 or more cups (I use 3) blueberries and juice of one lemon.
Cream together:
3/4 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons butter
Sift:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
Add alternately with 3/4 cup milk. This will make a very thick batter.
Spoon batter over berries.



Then combine 3/4 cup sugar with 1 Tablespoon cornstarch. Put this on batter.



Pour 1 cup hot water over top.



Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Sometimes I make this in 2 loaf pans. This ensures a nice crust on all sides. I find that with an 8 by 8 pan, sometimes the middle just can't seem to get done. Serve with vanilla ice cream or real whip cream.
Enjoy your own blueberry heaven!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mouth is watering right now!
I am off to the blueberry patch!
I hope those black bears scatter when they hear me coming because today I am a contender!!

Sabrina said...

Oh gracious... that sounds soooo good. I am going to the store today to get some blueberries.

Nicole said...

This looks so tasty! I am not sure if I have heard of a "buckle". Would you say it is the same or similar to cobbler? Maybe I should make this for my friend who loves cobbler so much!

Rindy R said...

Nicole - I think of a cobbler as crunchy - a buckle has a thin layer of crunch at the top but is more "Cakey" underneath. In the end if you love one - you'll love the other. Thanks for stopping by!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Looks so good! I have been enjoying all the fresh NJ blueberries.

RecipeGirl said...

What a wonderfully easy recipe. A homemade cookbook from Aunt Ruthie sounds like a real treasure. I love that sort of stuff. That pic of your dad and your daughter is darling... we long for blueberry bushes around here in Southern Cal!!

Anonymous said...

I just made blueberry buckle as well, but mine is named "Aunt Agatha's Blueberry Buckle." Don't know where the "aunt" part of the recipe comes from, but it is a great baked good with fresh blueberries.

Anonymous said...

Blueberries are just coming on in the great Northwest. This would be just the ticket for them. Looks great! Fun website.