Friday, August 8, 2008

Mint Chocolate "Cupcake"



This dessert was one of my childhood favorites. Well- sort of. The original dessert was to be made in a 9 x 13 dish. I wanted something a bit more elegant and individual and tweaked it to resemble the picture above. Doesn't it look like a dessert Mary Poppins would serve at a tea party?



The ingredient list is simple but the flavor is "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"!



I must admit - Even though the ingredients are few- it took me a while to locate the pillow mints and the chocolate wafers. I think I hit 4 grocery stores before I stumbled upon everything I needed. Rest assure...the trip was well worth it!

1 box Famous Chocolate Wafer Cookies
1 pint Whipping cream
1 cup miniature marshmallows (I found very tiny ones, as shown in picture)
1/2 cup crushed Pastel Pillow mints

Make whipping cream. Fold in most of crushed pillow mints (reserve some to sprinkle on top), and mini marshmallows. Place one chocolate wafer cookie on bottom of cupcake liner. Add small dollop of whip cream mixture. Do three more layers till you have 4 cookies. Add whip cream to top and sprinkle with crushed pastel pillow mints. Let stand in fridge AT LEAST 4 hours and up to one day to soften cookies. Enjoy this "Practically Perfect" treat!



To make on a larger scale for a large group here is the original recipe:

Pastel Mint Refrigerator Dessert
32 Chocolate Sandwich cookies with cream filling, crushed
2 cups miniature Marshmallows
1 pt. heavy cream
1 cup pastel pillow mints

Put 1/2 crushed cookies in bottom of a 9x13 pan. Whip cream and add mints and marshmallows (no need to crush the mints for this size recipe). Spread over bottom layer. Sprinkle rest of cookie crumbs on top. Refrigerate 2 days before serving! This ensures pillow mints are nice and soft!
My mother made this at Christmas time - but it is the perfect refreshing summer dessert to "Beat the Heat"! When I asked her why she only made this at Christmas she said because she didn't have room in the refrigerator and could just leave it out in the freezing garage. A 9x13 pan requires prime real estate in the fridge!

6 comments:

Robin said...

Where on earth did you find those cute little marshmallows? I usually have to go all the way to Lancaster County for mine!! Great recipe, can't wait to try.

Anonymous said...

What a tasty dessert!

Maggie said...

I love those after dinner mints! This sounds so good.

Anonymous said...

This is such a beautiful presentation of what sounds like
a scrumptious dessert.

Anonymous said...

Yummmmmmmmmmmy....(couldn't find a better word!)

Sheila said...

I had not seen these before; what a great idea!!!