Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Crab Cakes with Cilantro Tatar Sauce



Two scoops please! Or should I say Lumps...and two is not really enough when you taste them. I LOVE crab cakes, but I am a crab cake snob. I absolutely love the ones Sweetwater makes. A little spice a lot of crab! There is nothing better. This is the closest recipe I have ever had to those delectable treats! It comes from a sweet little gal named Annie who used to do cooking classes in her home. We would roll away from her house on those nights!

Annie's Crab Cakes
1/2 cup red pepper, finely diced
1/4 cup yellow onion, finely diced
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1 pound lump crabmeat, picked over
1 cup Panko crumbs, or unsalted soda crackers, finely crushed
Unsalted butter and canola oil, for frying
Lemon wedges

In a small skillet on medium heat warm a Tablespoon of butter. When butter begins to foam, add the red pepper and onions and saute over medium heat until onions are translucent and peppers become slightly tender. Set aside to cool.



I spread them on a cutting board and let them cool.



In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, egg, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, Cayenne and Old Bay. Add in the cooled peppers and onions and fold in the crabmeat. Add about one third of the crackers or crumbs. Shape into 16 small cakes or 8 large cakes about 1 inch thick. Coat the crab cakes with the remaining crumbs and transfer to a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Refrigerate for a least two hours (or for up to one day before cooking).
In a large skillet, melt 2 Tablespoons of the butter and 2 Tablespoons of the oil. When the butter and oil begin to bubble, add half the crab cakes and cook over Medium-high heat until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove crab cakes from pan and set on paper towels to absorb any extra oil and place in a warm oven. Repeat with the remainder of the crab cakes, adding butter and oil to pan as needed. Garnish with tartar sauce and lemon wedges.



I did these the day before my dinner group and just reheated them in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. Perfect!
Make extra - because lets face it - the best part about having a crab cake for dinner....is having a crab cake sandwich for lunch the next day!



Cilantro Tartar Sauce
3/4 cup Mayonnaise
1/4 cup chopped dill pickles
1/4 cup chopped red onion
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tablespoon capers, drained and chopped
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice

Stir together all sauce ingredients, Serve.

3 comments:

Prudy said...

Those look insanely good. What a great idea to perk up tartar sauce with cilantro. Best to you, Prudy
This is Sailor now. Thank you so much for coming to my blog and for leaving me such a kind comment. It makes me feel very happy inside.

amycaseycooks said...

Crab cakes are on my menu this week too. I think the leftovers are my favorite part of cooking - if I can hide them from my husband.

Rindy R said...

Sailor - we can't wait to see nutcracker photos on YOUR website - thanks for stopping by ours!
EAT! - I don't always love leftovers but these are a big exception!! I'm always up for a leftover Crab Cake!!!