Thursday, August 28, 2008

Julie's Cincinnati Chili



This is my friend Julie. She is no ordinary friend - she has superhero status in my eyes. She is the friend that I never want my husband to ever have more then a 5 minute conversation with, because if she starts telling him what she does around her home - I'm toast!
Three true conversations I have had with Julie:
1. "Julie - I love your countertops" - Oh thanks - one time when Richard (her husband) was out of town I decided I wanted a new look in the kitchen so I built some frames and mixed some cement and poured myself these new countertops! (My jaw wide open)
2. "Julie - Your garage looks so neat" - oh thanks - one time when Richard was out of town I just got so tired of looking at all the disorganization on these shelves that I decided to build doors for all the shelving units. (My jaw on ground)
3. "Julie - your banisters look beautiful" - oh thanks - did you see that PVC pipe on the ground outside when you came in? Well I decided to strip all the banisters and repaint them. I just removed them from the stairwell, filled the capped PVC pipe with paint stripper and let each soak - in no time they were ready for a new coat of paint! (My jaw on ground, being stepped on by my own large feet)

I know we would all love to hate a person like this but you CAN'T! She is as nice as she is efficient! I'm just glad she is MY friend - and not my husbands!!

We had this chili one night at her home ( on her covered patio - she built)! It is the best Cincinnati Chili I have ever had.
Julie makes this in 26 pound batches and freezes them. I just double this recipe because I don't own a pot a human being can fit into!




Julie's Cincinnati Chili
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 medium onion, chopped
29 oz can tomato sauce
14 1/2 oz can peeled whole tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
1 toe of garlic (clove)
3 bay leaves

Cook gound beef with onions till browned and cooked through. Drain off grease and place in a large stockpot. Add remaining ingredients and cook 4 to 5 hours, covered. Remove garlic and bay leaves and serve on a bed of spaghetti with grated cheddar cheese and diced onions. Great for chili dogs. Freezes well.



I love doing a chili bar! The chili bases that I serve are: french fries, bake potatoes, spagehetti and corn chips. Kids and adults can enjoy their chili anyway they want! Don't forget all the toppings as well: jack and cheddar cheese, nacho cheese, onions, hot peppers, banana peppers, the list is endless!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want poured concrete countertops in my kitchen! I've seen them on HGTV, but had no idea how to do them. They sound beautiful and your friend sounds incredibly talented. Her chili recipe will be going in my crockpot very soon! Thanks for sharing.

Robin said...

Can I have your friend too? Fun post, love the recipe! Nice touch to have a pic of the family too. Does her hubby do anything at all or does she have it all covered? Hmm when my hubby goes away I am lucky to get the laundry done. Yikes!

Sabrina said...

Does Julie have any openings for a friend? I would love to apply. She sounds awesome. What a deadly pair you two make, I'm sure. Your creativity and her ingenuity. Can't wait to try the chili.