Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Maytag Blue Cheese Wedge



A few weeks ago bigredkitchen did a blog on "Hearts of Lettuce Salad". Oh - this brought back wonderful memories of how our family did "The Wedge". My mother found this recipe in a booklet published by the Maytag Dairy Executives from the 1970's. This was her, hands down, favorite dressing recipe.



This luscious salad would often accompany a grilled steak and huge baked potato on a summer night.

2 ounces Maytag Blue Cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 Tablespoons light cream
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. parsley flakes
2 tsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. vinegar
1 tsp. grated onion (I use onion powder)
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. prepared horseradish
1/4 tsp garlic salt
Dash ground pepper

Have blue cheese at room temperature. Add mayonnaise; blend thoroughly till smooth. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Cover and chill. Leave lots of dressing on spoon to lick! Makes about 1 cup.

My tonsils are twanging already!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made this yummy dressing and used as a dip for my carrots. Great addition to my egg salad sandwich I had for lunch today.

Wow, top your baked potato with that and throw the sour cream out the window!!

amycaseycooks said...

I love the wedge, but one of my daughter's thinks it's crazy. I just serve it to hear all her goofy comments about it. Maytag is one of my favorite cheeses - I haven't had it in quite some time.

Robin said...

Um, in my house we call this chilled Blue Cheese Soup. It is so good you want to eat it with a spoon!!

Rindy R said...

Eat! - My kids were like "Ok mom - you've got your picture - now cut up my salad please!" Blue cheese is my favorite cheese as well!
Robin Sue - The next day I did feast on "Blue Cheese Soup" - Delicious!!!!

Thanks for stopping by!