Monday, March 2, 2009

Cindy's Masala Vegetable Stew


The other night, my "Healthy Hero" Cindy and I had an impromptu dinner with our families. We had been working all day for our good friend and thought it would be fun to kick back and enjoy some down time. As we each tried to figure out what we could contribute to the meal we realized it might be a little complicated since she is a vegetarian and I am a "Carb-a-tarian". I pulled out "Julie's Cinncanati Chili" from my freezer to go over a baked potato and Cindy whipped up this Masala Vegetable Stew. I was a little hesitant to try this exotic dish - since my body is more accustomed to Pringles and HoHo's - but wow was I blown away! I loved the sweet and spicy tastes and have put this on my list to make in the future. Try it - You'll like it!

Masala Vegetable Stew
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
2 medium onions, chopped
2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
4 medium potatoes, diced
4 carrots, sliced
1/2 medium head cauliflower, bite size pieces
2 cups frozen cut green beans
1 to 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
2 fresh mild chiles, seeded and minced
2 tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
1 (15 oz) can light coconut milk
salt to taste
1 cup frozen green peas
1/4 tsp. chopped cilantro (she used dried)
curry to taste
Raisins

Heat the oil in large soup pot over med. heat. Add onions and garlic, cook stirring often until golden. Add potatoes, carrots and 2 cups water. Bring to boil. Cover and cook gently until partially tender 10 to 15 minutes. Add cauliflower, green beans, ginger, chiles, garam masala, coriander, turmeric. Continue to cook gently covered until tender 20 minutes. Mash some potatoes against the side of the pan with a wooden spoon to thicken stew. Stir in coconut milk and season to taste with salt. If time allows let stew stand for 1 hour before serving. Just before serving, heat and stir in peas, raisins, and cilantro and cook until peas are just heated through. Serve over rice and enjoy!

Serves 6 to 8.



This is Cindy with her hubby Reagan! My "Healthy Hero" is working on me one meal at a time! Keep up the good work!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am off to the store. I hope my cornery grocers has all the ingredients. This may be for city folks only.

Anonymous said...

I am going to experiment with this recipe as soon as possible. It sounds pretty good for being so healthy and you say your family likes it? I will have to go up and down aisles I am not familiar with.

Anonymous said...

We all need someone like that in our life!

Love the veggie stew!

Sheila said...

This sounds very much like curry. I can smell the spices now! And I just bought some more coconut milk; I will have to try it. Thanks for sharing.