Monday, March 16, 2009

Tandoori Chicken on Pitas!



This past Saturday was a lazy Saturday around my house - my favorite. Instead of jumping all over the laundry, vacuuming, picking up or dusting I dove right into my favorite form of procrastination - COOKING! I had seen a recipe I wanted to try out in a Light cookbook. My girls loved the chicken - alone- and chose not to "Doctor" it all up in the yummy yogurt sauce (yeah more for me and the hubby)! It was so light and refreshing and perfect! It helped set the mood for a long afternoon of laundry, vacuuming, dusting and picking up!

Tandoori Chicken on Pitas
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 Tablespoons curry powder - I used 1 Tablespoon and 1 teaspoon smokey Paprika since my kids would be eating it.
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts. (I flattened mine so they would cook quickly)
1 Tablespoon Olive oil

1. Mix flour, curry powder, salt and pepper in a plastic bag. Add chicken, close bag and shake to coat. Remove chicken, shake off excess flour.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning once, 10 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Remove to a cutting board.



3. While chicken cooks, mix sauce ingredients in a bowl. Coarsely chop bell pepper, tomatoes and cucumbers. Toast pitas.
4. Cut chicken diagonally in 1/2 inch wide strips. Place a pita on each plate. Top with pepper, tomato and cucumber then chicken. Spoon on sauce; garnish with limes and cilantro.

Yogurt Sauce:
3/4 cup plain lowfat yogurt (I used greek yogurt - because that is what I had)
1 Tablespoon finely chopped red onion ( I doubled because I LOVE red onion)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon each ground cumin and salt

Toppings for sandwich:
1 yellow bell pepper
2 medium tomatoes chopped (I just used grape tomatoes)
1 cucumber chopped

I loved this and will be making this again in the near future! Take your taste buds on an adventure and try this Tandoori chicken Pita!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can try this on me. It sure looks yummy and the picture is beautiful!

Robin said...

Yes yes yes to more yogurt sauce please. This is a great looking treat and so healthy too!

Anonymous said...

I love the yogurt sauce...what a beautiful recipe! The picture looks like Spring too!

Anonymous said...

Yum, I love light and simple things like this. It looks fabulous.

Karen said...

I have some red curry paste and I'm thinking it would be good with this dish (not a fan of brown curry). The yogurt sauce sounds so good!

amycaseycooks said...

I can't wait to get out to my grill to make this dish.

oneordinaryday said...

What a great photo. It looks just delicious.
Michelle
http://oneordinaryday.wordpress.com/

Elyse said...

Oh, man, this sounds fabulous! I love Tandoori chicken, especially with any type of yogurt sauce. This is such a wonderful meal. Your family is so lucky to get such yummy meals!