Monday, March 30, 2009

Chicken Nuggets: The Fibrous kind



I've been doing a lot of pantry diving lately. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing - but I'm happy I have been using up some odds and ends. This weekend I knew I had to use up a package of chicken breasts I had bought this week - and when I spotted the panko crumbs I knew I would be making some nuggets. On the way out of the pantry I spotted the Fiesta ranch dressing mix and was excited to put a little kick in those chicks!



I won't even tell you the expiration date on this package for fear they will accuse me of child abuse - however I did smell it and it smelled fine!



I was all set to start ripping, dipping and dunking when I opened the box of Panko crumbs to find only a half of a cup in the bottom of the bag....what to do what to do. No problem. I opened my cereal cabinet to see what I could add to my Panko crumbs.



I chuckled as I ground up about a cup of Fiber One cereal. My kids would die if they knew what I had used but I was anxious to see what they thought of the fibrous nuggets!

Fibrous Nuggets
1 egg
3 Tablespoons milk or buttermilk
1/2 cup Panko crumbs
1 envelope Fiesta Ranch Dip mix, unmade
1 cup Fiber One cereal ground course
4 chicken breasts, cut up in 2 inch by 1 inch pieces

Mix egg and milk in small bowl.
Mix Panko crumbs, Fiesta Ranch Dip mix and Fiber One cereal crumbs and put in bowl by egg bowl.
Set oven to 400. Line baking sheet with Parchment. Dip cut chicken in egg mixture and then roll in crumb mixture. Set on parchment. When complete bake chicken for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes and serve with homemade honey mustard.

Homemade Honey mustard:
2 parts Honey
1 part yellow mustard
Mix and Dip!



My kids LOVED the nuggets! Fiber One cereal has a slightly sweet taste and the kick of the Fiesta Dip mix was the perfect blend! It turned out to be one "Kickin' Chickin'"!

10 comments:

Sheila said...

Wow, the cereal really looked like it added some serious crunch to the oven "fried" nuggets. I don't think the expiration date is due to anything but maybe altered flavor, but it sounds like these did not lack in flavor.

I was talking to a lady this weekend who is doing a "pantry challenge." For a month she has not bought anything except some milk, bread, and fresh produce. She's being resourceful and using what is in her pantry and freezer before she buys anything else. Your recipe looks much better than what she told me she came up with!

Anonymous said...

lol! I like the name! the fibrous kind! appeals to the nutritionist in me!
you can also use fiber one as a coating on onions for onion rings...

Karen said...

I love that cereal, it's so good! Great way to use up items that have migrated to the back of the pantry *and* have something nutritous for the kids!

noble pig said...

That is the perfect idea! What they don't know does not hurt them!

Robin said...

I think it is a good idea to start using up what we have. These last two posts have inspired me to do the same. Now what can I make with Coolwhip, ketchup, and wild rice??

jesse said...

Hahahaha, cunning way to slip some fiber into your kids' diet! Those chicken nuggets look wonderful!

tamilyn said...

I try to hide stuff in our food too :)

I was thinking yesterday after coming home from the grocery store that I need to do a 'pantry challenge' as the food won't fit in the cupboards. It is out of hand.

Elyse said...

Haha, what an excellent way to get your fiber! These chicken nuggets look delicious. Nuggets were one of my alltime favorites growing up, and I can't wait to bring back some memories with these tasty bites. I love your addition of the fiesta ranch--delicious!

Selba said...

I love chicken nuggets :)

Controlling My Chaos said...

Now THAT was resourceful. You totally made that up and discovered a keeper of a recipe in the process. Great job! :)