Friday, March 27, 2009

Sausage and Boursin Breakfast Casserole



The other day, as I was cleaning out my cheese drawer in the fridge, I discovered a package of Boursin cheese about to expire. My love of Boursin cheese goes beyond words so letting something that delectable go to waste would go against every fiber of my body. I quickly scoured the rest of my pantry to see what I could whip up.



I spotted the 2 day old loaf of french bread on my counter and hoped I would have a frozen "log" of sausage in my freezer - Score - I did!



I love a "Breakfast" dinner and knew if I threw all these things together - they couldn't be bad!

Rindy's Breakfast Casserole
1 loaf french bread, cubed
1 sweet onion, chopped and fried till just starting to carmelize
1 pound sausage, I prefer HOT (spicy that is)
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
pepper to taste
1 cup cheddar cheese
5.2 oz Boursin cheese
2 cups milk
5 eggs



Preheat oven to 325. Grease a 9 by 13 pan. Cook sausage in pan and drain grease. Cook onion in skillet till just carmelized. Cube french bread and place pieces in bottom of dish. Spread 1 cup of cheddar cheese over bread and dot with the Boursin cheese. Put sausage and onions over mixture. In separate bowl, mix 2 cups milk with 5 eggs. Pour over entire casserole. Cover and let this sit for at least an hour - or overnight. Bake for 45 minutes in 325 oven.



I hope your family loves this as much as mine did! Enjoy!

10 comments:

Robin said...

Hey this looks great! I think my excellent cholesterol (169!!!) level could handle this dish too! Bring it on!

Scate said...

This looks great! I love a good egg strata - especially with "found" ingredients. Thanks!

Sheila said...

Breakfast casseroles are an all time favorite at our house and I am always looking for a new one. Sundays are our days for these, so your recipe is just in time!

Elyse said...

Wow, Rindy! I am such a sucker for breakfast casserole. Now, you must understand that usually I'm a sweets girl, meaning give me pancakes, waffles, french toast (french toast casserole), biscuits with honey...you get the picture. BUT, in 7th grade (a long time ago), my best friend's mom made breakfast casserole, and I was HOOOKED. I really haven't had it since, but I still crave those awesome flavors. In you come with this awesome recipe and those mouth-water pictures, and you've gotten me so excited to make this!! It looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

Aunt Spicy said...

That looks so much better than our family's similar recipe...will definitely be trying this one out!

noble pig said...

I know it would go over big over here! I love whipped up meals like this they always seem to be better than the carefully planned out ones.

Sabrina said...

What a great idea to use the Boursin cheese. I never would have come up with that. It looks so good. That was a great save on your part.

Karen said...

I love Boursin cheese too :) Great way to use things up!

Sandy said...

I have to admit that the secret is the french bread. Makes it so good. I've also used "spelt" bread for our friend w/allergies and it was delic! :)

tamilyn said...

I have never had that cheese before. The casserole looks phenomenal~