Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Rindy's Sloppy Joes



The other day I went to my fridge - only to be met by the package of hamburger I had bought days earlier! I didn't have the foggiest idea what to do with it but knew I had to make it THAT day! I went to my old stand-by - Allrecipes.com - and browsed. I finally decided to do a sloppy joe. I pulled a recipe off the net - only to find I only had about half the ingredients I needed. This is what I pulled out of my fridge and pantry to make one pretty good sloppy joe!

Rindy's Sloppy Joe's
1 pound ground beef
1 small sweet onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
4 Tablespoons salsa
3/4 cup ketchup
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
6 hamburger buns

In a skillet, cook beef, onions and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato paste, ketchup, brown sugar, salsa and soy sauce; mix well. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture onto each bun.

I served with deviled eggs and got high fives from all my family!

8 comments:

Sheila said...

I have only made sloppy joes a couple of times; I am not certain why. But my children love them and absolutely love when my sister stays with them because she makes them.

I like the addition of salsa; I would have never thought of that but I am certain it added a terrific flavor. Allrecipes is a good place for inspiration.

Scate said...

I love the soy sauce and salsa - I bet it's got a great balance of spice and flavor. I have to try these out while we still have the winter lingering on.

Karen said...

I haven't had a Sloppy Joe in years! And thanks for reminding me... I have fish in the fridge that I meant to clean yesterday!

Sabrina said...

Oh, sweet Rindy, thank you so much for this recipe. I have to confess I always use the jar and think there must be a better way. I will be trying this with the hamburger I have in the fridge that needs to be cooked.

Anonymous said...

I love a good sloppy joe...this looks fantastic and just makes my mouth water.

amycaseycooks said...

You can never go wrong with a good sloppy joe. Having some leftover in the fridge makes many in my family happy.

RecipeGirl said...

Love those recipes where you can slap things together & it all works. Sloppy Joes are always a good bet, especially w/ the kiddos!

tamilyn said...

Yummy, I love sloppy joes, especially with cheese on them. Your look awesome.