Monday, March 9, 2009

The Great Grape Debate!



Let me set up the scenario: Mom packs pretty healthy school lunch, adds a few little treats. Upon returning home, child has eaten entire lunch except the healthy part of meal! This drives me crazy! I can't tell you the number of times my kids come home with the fruit cup, apple sauce cup or bag of grapes left over from their lunch. My solution for the fruit cups is as follows: 1. Explain to child they need to eat the healthy part of the lunch first. 2. Explain money doesn't grow on trees and 3. Put fruit cup back in lunch box for tomorrow - with a "Healthy" warning about what will happen if they don't eat it the next day. My solution for the grapes is a little different. For some reason my kids think frozen grapes are the next best thing to a slushy at 7-11. If my kids comes home with their bag of grapes - which, by this time look a little worse for wear since they have been roaming around a lunch box all day - I throw them in the freezer - (the grapes that is.)



When snack time comes around after school the next day - they think they have died and gone to heaven - as I pull out the baggies of frozen grapes! No waste in this house...and besides how can you be mad at a face like this?

9 comments:

Sheila said...

I have had similar problems, even with my husband:( I have started packing two fruits or veggie and fruit instead of a treat to try to get them to eat more healthy stuff. Sometimes it works; I think they would like your idea better!

Sabrina said...

She looks healthy to me. Who could be mad at that sweetness. I would let her eat M&Ms all day.

Lexi said...

So funny....I was going to suggest freezing them!!! We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE frozen grapes!!!
Hve a blessed day!

Karen said...

Great idea. Amazing what a difference freezing grapes makes!

Robin said...

Ha, I do the same thing. They are not allowed to eat the cookies first, they must eat the healthy stuff. One day I charged them each a dollar because they wasted their fruit. That got their attention. Now they eat their fruit. Dippy helps too!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah. That's a good idea with the grapes. It kills me when they just eat the junk. Sometimes I'm surprised they don't just throw it away to hide the evidence.

Cate said...

Mmm, we love frozen grapes here too. As my six-year-old says, "so refreshing!" Even the baby likes them, though I wait for them to get a little less icy.

Controlling My Chaos said...

Ugh. I have this same problem, but I love your solution for the grapes.

John Socrates Loyola said...

Wow. Nice post.. Very entertaining. Great job! For more about grapes and grape growing, visit here: http://goinggrapes.com/