Thursday, April 23, 2009

Power Bar - Cindy Style!



So today my "Healthy Hero" friend, Cindy, gave me her homemade Power/Breakfast/Healthy treat Bars. As usual, I was a little suspicious of the ingredients since she wouldn't tell me what was in them until I had a bite. I was pleasantly surprised by the taste as well as the ingredient list.

As a breast cancer survivor, I have been instructed to stay away from soy. I know there are all different schools of thought on the subject, but I am listening to my oncologist and just steering clear of the stuff. Do you know how hard it is to find a breakfast bar without soy in it? I have fallen in love with the Lara Bar - and with their oodles of flavors I'm usually set. I am happy to have found this treat to give my taste buds a change and save a little change as well.

Make a batch and see if you don't love them as well!

Cindy's Healthy Breakfast Bar

1 1/4 cup flour (Cindy actually ground some oats for me in her Vita mixer. IMPRESSIVE!)
1 teaspoon non-alum baking powder
3 eggs, well beaten
1 cup pitted dates, soaked in 1/4 cup hot water to soften
1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped

In a bowl, thoroughly whisk eggs. Add flour, baking powder and mix. Add dates and nuts. Pour into lightly greased 8 x8x2 pan. Bake at 250 for 40 minutes. Do not over cook. Should stay moist.

Bonus Ingredients:
Try adding dried orange or lemon peel, coconut, crushed pineapple, or chopped and dehydrated apricots.

Any grains work: Wheat, Buckwheat, oats, barley, spelt, quinoa, amaranth, rye.

9 comments:

Scate said...

These look really great - i can't believe how few ingredients you used! Is something wrong with Soy? I need to do some research... Thanks!

noble pig said...

You are right in staying away from soy and these sound absolutely perfect! Thanks for this recipe!

Robin said...

I don't do soy either. Although phytoestrogens are still under investigation with regards to breast cancer and a bit controversial it is still important to avoid them until further studies are done. Phytoestrogens seem to reduce cancer risks in mice but in humans it seems to work differently. There are 300 foods containing phytoestrogens so it is best to talk with your health care providers to get the lastest. Great post Rindy, I have been looking for a good soy free power bar and you are right they are hard to find in the stores.

Elyse said...

Mmm, these bars look delicious! Cindy really knows her stuff! I can't wait to try them out. So glad you enjoyed them. I love that they're so simple to make, yet so delicious.

foodbin said...

a healthy snack.

Angela said...

I actually have a Vita Mixer for sale...only used it about 5 or 6 times! Let me know if you're interested!! Love your blog!

Rindy R said...

Angela - I would love one! How much are you asking?

Anonymous said...

Just saw your reply! Here's the info posted on Craig's List.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/hsh/1133725441.html

Your blog is one of my favorites!

Angela said...

Rindy,
I'm obviously not very good at leaving comments. My post showed up as anonymous!

The Vita-Mix is in excellent condition. My son posted it on Craigs's List for me. He's in Chesapeake and I'm in Hampton, VA.