Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Bobi's Bits: See the Sea Shells!



Yesterday "Alice and the Mock Turtle" did a blog on her beautiful apothecary jars. Run over and check her collection out and then come right back. Wasn't that cute - so festive for Easter. It reminded me of my favorite thing at my mom's house and I wanted to share it with you.



My parents live in Florida and years ago my mom started her Sea Shell collections. After a while she just had a big box of shells and she didn't really know what to do with them. She decided to sort them according to type and put each different shell in a different jar. It has turned into a beautiful display in a nook of her home.



Each jar has it's own story. Some are wrapped with decorative wire with beautiful beads on them.



Some are guarded by the ghosts of sea animals past.



Some jars used to scream"Pimientos" and "Minced Garlic" - and now, with the touch of a paint brush, they just whisper "Look at my beautiful gifts from God".



Some jars have old thrift store jewelry as a "necklace" around their openings, but all have their name tags proudly displayed for all to see.



Just as "Alice and the Mock Turtle" used thrift store containers to give her home some spice - My mom used these jars, usually thrown away without a second thought, to highlight her collection of shells.

Try looking at your trash a little differently today!

9 comments:

Sabrina said...

Bobi your collection is gorgeous! When I saw the first picture I thought it was from a magazine. I can see where Rindy gets her beautiful style.
I get sand and a few shells from the beaches we visit. But my jars still scream cheez whiz and salsa. (please, don't judge me) I will be painting my lids soon. Thanks.

amycaseycooks said...

What a gorgeous collection. I love collecting shells and never thought of displaying in such a beautiful way. I love that she labeled them all with the cute tags.

Sheila said...

This is amazing; it gave me goosebumps! My daughter would love to decorate with seashells but also has a vintage theme in her room. Something like this would be gorgeous in her room. I love all the jars. I am a jar freak! I keep any glass jar practically that comes in the house (unless I can't get rid of the garlic smell in one). Beautiful! Oh, and thank you for the link!

Debbie said...

So beautiful. I live in the high desert...I would have to "buy" my seashells...it's not quite the same. I have found some good rock tho...

Robin said...

Bobi this display is so pretty and inviting. I could stand there reding all the tags and hope that you would tell me their stories. Sabrina you are too funny! Cheez whiz! Ha- you have such a nice collection yourself! This makes me want to go get some shells, or just be at the beach, it is so cold here today!!!

Rindy R said...

Sabrina - you are too cute! No one I love you so much!
Eat! - Thanks for the sweet comments!
Sheila - Thanks for the inspiration to do this blog entry.
Debbie - You just need to get to the shore girl!
Robin Sue - Hope it warms up soon for you!

Karen said...

What a beautiful collection!

Controlling My Chaos said...

Whoa Nelly! That's a lot of shells there. They are gorgeous. What a great idea for a collection.

Elyse said...

Wow! I love your mom's corner. What a precious idea!! Her shells look just fabulous. I want to do something creative like that in my apartment!