Friday, December 5, 2008

Best Hostess Gifts of the Season: Part 5



Sometimes, when we are invited over to a close family friend's house, I opt to take a "Hostess Gift" to the children of the home. Let's face it - the kids have probably spent a good part of their day preparing for company. If it is anything like my house - they have just come through WWIII with a verbal death threat hanging over their heads to "Play Nice" the rest of the night with kids they don't necessarily get along with. All's fair in love and war - right? My mom is responsible for this hostess gift. She called me a couple of weeks ago and told me a neighbor had just given her the recipe for "Cake in a Cup". She knew she had to make it with her grand babies while we were down visiting - and I thought - what a great hostess gift this would make!
The children's apron's came from Kohl's and the Christmas cups came from Michael's. My mom and I put all the dry ingredients in pastry bags we also found at Michael's. Just attach a card to the bag of dry ingredients along with the recipe stating what wet ingredients will need to be added. Ta da - you have the Best Hostess Gift of the Season!



These are the ingredients you will need to make your own "Cake in a Cup"!



Gumma's not included!



Cake in a Cup
4 Tablespoons cake flour
4 Tablespoons granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons baking cocoa
Add one beaten egg
3 Tablespoons milk
3 Tablespoons oil
Splash of Vanilla
3 Tablespoons Chocolate Chips

Bake 3 minutes in microwave on high power.



My girls think cracking the egg is the best part.



They loved watching it "Grow" in the "Micro"!



A quick swirl around the mug with a knife - and Presto....



A perfect little cake for one (actually it fed 4 of us)!



Looks impressive - Doesn't it! Tastes great too! Check back Monday for one last Hostess gift - just couldn't fit it all in in a week!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just had a thought, I wonder how these would taste if some nuts were added?

Sabrina said...

I am so going to do these. Awesome idea! Thank you Gumma. And you too Rindy

Anonymous said...

I am going to make this with Brooke!

Sarah said...

great hostess gift! and glad you like the christmas song on my blog...i can't get enough of it either. downloaded it on itunes and everything! :)

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I am loving your hostess gifts, especially this one! I am going to make this for dessert tonight. The aprons are adorable. I will look for them this week.