Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Monte Cristo


Ok, Ok - I promise (well maybe) that this is the last recipe I will post that you can use a canned meat product.
I also make this after I have baked a big ham. I'll grind the left over meat and make this and some Ham "Sally" (When you consume the quantities I do - you're on a first name basis). This was our breakfast on those special occasions (Christmas, Easter, and just because I love you morning).

Grind equal parts of ham and cheddar cheese and one medium onion(I substitute onion powder - about 1 tsp.) together for sandwich filling. Remove crusts from 14 to 16 pieces of white bread. Butter an 8 x 13 inch baking dish. Place slices of bread in dish, add generous portions of ham and cheese mixture. Top with remaining slices of buttered bread. Beat 4 eggs and 2 1/2 cups of milk, salt and pepper to taste. Pour over sandwiches. Let sit at least 2 hours - or overnight. When ready to use- Bake at 325 for 1 hour.
I use deviled ham and 8 oz of cheddar cheese - Don't gag until you try it!

No comments: