Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Baked Eggs in Maple Toast Cups

I'm laughing right now as I begin to write this blog - thinking of what my neighbor Jennifer would say about my use of canned deviled ham in this recipe.  She has an automatic gag reflex when anyone mentions meat from a can.   Since a main staple in my diet growing up was Vienna Sausages - I have no aversion to using meat from a can.  I must admit, though,  I haven't had the desire to grace my palate with one of those in a long while.  This recipe is a throw back to the 1950's with a little Rindy tweak.
1 can (4.25 oz) deviled ham
6 slices white bread
6 eggs
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
2 Tablespoons butter

Combine syrup and butter in saucepan.  Heat just until butter is melted and blend with the syrup.  Remove crusts from bread slices.  Press out slice with a rolling pin.  Brush with syrup mixture.  Press slices down into buttered muffin tins.  Put small amount of deviled ham into bottom of each cup.  Break a small egg into each cup.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Bake in a hot oven (400) for 15 minutes, or until eggs are set.  Serve with additional maple butter blend.  If you have a strong aversion to "meat-in-a-can" you can always substitute chopped ham or bacon!  

2 comments:

Robin said...

My mom used to make my dad a deviled ham sandwich everyday when he worked in Boston. Are the cans still wrapped in paper? I like chipped beef from a can, or maybe its a jar, anyway nice looking eggs you got there!

test it comm said...

These look and sound really good!