Friday, September 26, 2008

Gourmet Club: Western Style



About two weeks ago our invitation arrived for Gourmet Club! You can imagine my surprise when the recipe I was given to make was "Armadillo Knuckles"! As I looked further at the recipe, I knew I could eat anything if it was wrapped in bacon!
Giddy Up - we were going to a Hoe-down!!!



The "Big Red Kitchen" Ranch was the location of our get together and of course Robin Sue and "Himself" went all out to Hoe-Down! There was a saloon set up in the corner of the kitchen, ax throwing outside, and bottle target in the living room! Being a drunk, ax murderer and sharp shooter - I knew I had hit the Jackpot! Just kidding, although being a wife, mommy, and homeroom mom sometimes I feel like the previous! Check out that Cowboy Caviar in the picture above - Mosey on over to "Bri's Tiki Bar" for the recipe. It was Rootin' "Tootin'" - and I mean Tootin' - but oh so good!



Robin Sue, left in picture, was our mess hall manager for the night. Sabrina, right in picture, was ready to wrangle the boys for dinner (or was that wrangle the boys FOR their dinner)? I was the sheriff in town - and no one was getting by me! (Literally - I ate so much that night, no one COULD get by me!)



Robin branded our steaks, and even though she put her name over all the steaks - we insisted that we should get to eat one! She agreed and let us each own our own cow - Bessy was mighty fine!



Everyone had a wonderful time and all the touches throughout the house were amazing - down to the yellow roses of Texas as our centerpiece!




Check out the adorable place setting. Swing over to the "Big Red Kitchen" Ranch to see where they came from! Very funny!



Now that I have given you a little tour around the "Big Red Kitchen" Ranch - let me give you the recipe for the "Armadillo Knuckles".



Doesn't this bowl look like it could be just that. Thankfully it is only a bowl of wonderful little waterchestnuts. These crunchy little morsels make the appetizer unforgettable!



Bacon Wrapped Armadillo Knuckles
2 cans whole water chestnuts
1 pound bacon with slices cut into thirds
Wrap bacon around each nut and secure with a tooth pick. Place in a tin foil lined baking dish (to help with clean up) and bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until bacon is cooked through. Remove "knuckles" from the grease, keep toothpicks in, and place in a clean lightly greased baking dish. Use something nice so you can serve it in this as well.
Mix together:
2 cups ketchup
1 cup white sugar
3 T. soy sauce
Pour over bacon wrapped knuckles and bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and gooey!




At the end of the night, when all the cows were put away (in our tummies) and all the wood had been chopped (at least sliced a little), and all the bottles had been shot (then recyled of course) we knew we were very fortunate cowboys. We took off on the "Happy Trails" knowing we had good friends, full tummies, and happy hearts! Life is good!



Check out that bleach spot on the back of my hubby's shirt. That will teach him to let a cowgirl do his laundry :-)

2 comments:

Robin said...

I bet that is what knuckles would look like! Great pictures! Can't wait for the next club. I see you branded James with bleach, putting your mark on that man!

Maggie said...

My parents used to make these along with a version with chicken livers wrapped in bacon. I love nostalgic hor d'oeuvres.