Thursday, September 11, 2008

Blitz Torte by Bobi (and Betty Crocker)



My Mother has a school friend that she sees every summer and they plan lunch around the time of her friends birthday. After serving "cake" one year she found out that the recipe was a favorite cake Helen's mother had made. Her mother now nearing 95 attends the luncheon also and this year when the cake came out she accused my mother of stealing her recipe. My mother acquiesced.

My mom uses that old Betty Crocker cookbook I have mentioned before and on page 242 - lo and behold - the stolen recipe appears.

Blitz Torte (Lightning Cake) - Beautiful...meringue top encrusted with sugar and toasted almonds.

Mix thoroughly . . .
1/2 cup soft shortening -mom uses softened butter
3/4 cup sifted confectioner's sugar
Beat in . . .
4 egg yolks, well beaten
Sift together and stir in . . .
1 cup sifted Gold Medal flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
Stir in . . .
3 tbsp. milk
Spread batter in 2 greased and floured round 8" layer pans.



For meringue, beat until frothy . . .
4 egg whites
Beat in gradually
1 cup sugar (half confectioners')
Beat until stiff and glossy.
Spread half of meringue over batter in each pan.
Sprinkle each with half of . . .
1/2 cup shaved blanched almonds
2 tbsp. sugar

Bake until cake tests done and meringue is set. Cool. Then remove
from pans. Place one layer on serving plate meringue-side-up. Spread
with Rich Custard Filling (see below or page 241 of Betty Crocker Recipe Book) Place other layer on top meringue-side-up. If desired, pipe with Sweetened Whipped Cream.

Temperature: 325 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. 12 Servings.



Rich Custard Filling:
Mix in saucepan . . .
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup Gold Medal flour
Stir in . . .
2 cups milk
Cook over med. heat, stirring until it boils. Boil one minute.
Remove from heat. Stir a little over half of this mixture into. . .
4 egg yolks (or two eggs), beaten
Blend into hot mixture in saucepan. Bring just to boiling
point. Cool and blend in . . .
2 tsp. vanilla or other flavoring.



Thanks mom for interrupting your lunch to snag some pictures for this post! Now that is dedication to your daughter!
Helen is lucky to have you as a friend- but I am even more lucky to have you as my mother!

4 comments:

Robin said...

I love your Mom and Betty Crocker! Thanks for sharing such a great recipe!

Becki Sue said...

I know that you are not updating this blog any longer. But in case you check, I wanted to let you know that I tried this torte today for the Super Bowl (representative of the Packers). It was a big hit with all the guys. Thank you!

Eve Frantz said...

I don't know if you will get this message, but I was trying to find a recipe my mother-in -law used to make. We just called it almond torte. Then i stumbled upon your recipe and my husband said that his 'om loved the Betty Crocker cookbook, and that this looks exactly like what she made that everyone loved so much. Thank you. I am doing this for Easter.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! I have been searching for this Rich Custard Filling recipe I used to put in my Betty Crocker Cream Puffs : ) Now I plan to also make this cake!