Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Evelyn's Calico Bean Pot Baked Beans



This is my friend Sarah - I bet you thought I was going to say Evelyn - didn't ya!? Evelyn is the name of her mother-in-law's mother. Her Mother-in-law, Kay, gave her this recipe, and I am so glad she shared it with me! They invited us over for a "Back to school" BBQ and when I saw the recipe for the baked beans - I knew I needed nothing else to eat!



You know any recipe hand printed on a 1970-ish recipe card and loved throughout the years - is worth its weight in gold! This did not disappoint! These Pot-o-Beans were a Pot-o-Gold in my opinion!

Calico Bean Pot Baked Beans
8 slices bacon - crumbled
4 onions, sliced
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1 (1 lb) can B&M Beans
1 med can Northern Beans
2 (1 lb) cans Seaside Lima Beans
1 can dark red Kidney beans
Optional - brown a few "Little Smokies", slice and add to mixture before baking.



Fry bacon and onions together until tender (about 10 minutes). Add rest of ingredients, except beans.
When all ingredients are mixed throughly - add beans. Sarah just drained top juice off beans - but did not rinse any of them.
She has not been able to find canned Lima beans in a while, and often substitutes light red kidney beans or pintos. She said it was a great way to clean out your pantry of all those cans of beans. Try black, pinto, or anything else you have on the shelf!



Bake at 350 for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.



When it comes out of the oven - it has the most amazing caramelized top on it!
BEWARE: Mass consumption of this dish can produce many enemys
(YOU KNOW WHY) - and guess what...You won't care!!!



Sarah's hubby Ed prepared the chicken and sausage! They were perfect! Thanks guys for a great BBQ!

1 comment:

Robin said...

Now I know what you are bringing to Supper Club!