Monday, July 27, 2009

Door Stops and Doll Heads!



My mother came to my house last week. Can I tell you how much I love my mother? I told her this trip, that no matter how old I get - when she dies - I will feel like an orphan. She is simply amazing. I think it might have to do with growing up in the 40's and 50's. There is simply nothing she can't do - even if that is a double negative!



This trip we labeled: Operation Bedroom Curtains! She came with a purpose - and as my dad says "I was cracking the whip". He calls it "Cracking the Whip" I call it bribing with chocolate, movies and dinner. I keep a steady stream of sweets in the house and it keeps her sewing machine moving! This is a picture of my bedroom prior to the new curtains.



We had a plan for what we wanted them to look like - but after we took a little shopping adventure to look for finials we knew our budget had different plans. We needed 28 "Finials" and they were running about 15 dollars for 2. That would be $210 - and that wasn't happening. We decided to put our thinking caps on and head to Home Depot for some improvisation!



We literally went up and down every isle. Could this plumbing fixture be used to hang a curtain? Could this rubber chair bottom boot be used to make a finial? In the end we settled on these door stoppers. They ran $1.50 each and we knew that after one stop at Michael's craft store we would have the complete package.



We bought a bag of 12 wooden "Doll Heads" for the finial part. The "Doll Heads" were $3.00 for 12 - which brought our total to $51.00 for all 28 finials! My hubby drilled the "Doll Heads" to fit snuggly on the door stops. Score! A quick coat of black paint and we were good as gold!



Here is the finished product. You can see we hung the first curtain and the next curtain is ready to be hung on the hooks.



Walla - Finshed bedroom!



Walla - Finished sitting room!



I love you mom! Thank you for spending your time with me! (I'm putting the whip away - till next time!)

17 comments:

Creative Classroom Core said...

What a clever idea! And the best part is that everytime you look at the curtains (which are gorgeous!) you will remember that fun time with your mom :)

Robin said...

Now- can she turn my disgusting locker room of a hole we call our bedroom into a dream room like yours? It looks beautiful, I think I hate you but only a little;-0

Grammy Suzzy said...

Oh, my goodness, I just had to comment! It is simply just the most wonderful thing I have ever seen. Just perfect!! It looks fabulous

noble pig said...

Okay, I will bribe her with even more lavish luxeries...can I have her for like a month? I mean that is beautiful...just beautiful!

Mack said...

Love it! And you are so clever with the dolls heads and door stops! Thanks for sharing.

Carol said...

You and your mom are so clever! What a great idea! I remember when the wide curtain rods were in style, I didn't want to buy them so I hot glued cardboard to my narrow ones, made curtains, and when I put them up Voila! Wide rods, and no one knew!

cindy b. said...

Breathtaking !!!! I've been wanting to do something similar. Can you tell us how far apart the finials are and also what is the width of fabric between them? You are one lucky, lucky girl !!!

Rindy R said...

Cindy B - The space between the finials is 15 inches and the material is 18 inches. My mother made a box pleat at each finial and she sewed a 24 inch piece of grosgrain black ribbon at each pleat to attach to the finial.

Britt said...

This is brilliant!!! Love it!

Sabrina said...

Beautiful! Your mom is awesome.

Still Waters said...

This is very gorgeous! Can I make a request to send a up close picture of the box pleat and how you tied the curatin to the finial? It looks beautiful but I just can't figure out how to do it unless I can see up close? Thanks so much!

KAT said...

What a beautiful yet thrifty idea - you'd never know they started their life as a door stop!

Cathy said...

I own a custom window treatment studio (have been in the business for 19 years)and i am TRULY impressed with what your Mom & you did!!! I am going to share your idea with my workroom group next month! You are one lucky lady to have a Mom like that.

Werries Family said...

I had been looking for a way to do this with my daughter's room...and couldn't find what I wanted. I LOVE this. So creative. I will do this somewhere in my house!!! Great job. Don't you love crafty moms? ;o)

Journal Swag said...

I LOVE it! You two are amazing when you get your heads together! Lovely!

Sheila

SMJ said...

Where did you get your comforter or fabric? Love your room! We are planning a very similar theme for dd.

Rindy R said...

Author - I bought the bedding at Target -and the curtains were all long panels. We used some as panels and cut some in two - to make the valences.